Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Chapter Books that Pair Well with Five in a Row Volume 3

I'm back with my final booklist for Five in a Row Volume 3. This is the volume we will mostly be working with this year, so I'm particularly excited about this list. Clink on the following links if you want to see my lists of chapter books that pair well with Five in Row Volume 1 and Volume 2.

I hope that most of these books will be short enough to read in the week you're rowing the book. For longer titles, like Heidi, you might try listening to an audio book or making your bedtime read for a few weeks. Books marked (ER) are Easy Readers which are great starter read-aloud books for kindergarteners or could be read independently by older students.

Happy Reading!


Five in a Row Volume 3 
The Bee Tree by Patricia Polacco 
The Adventures of Maya the Bee by Waldemar Bonsels
The House at Pooh Corner or Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne 
Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder 

Andy and the Circus by Ellis Credle  
Toby Tyler by James Otis 
Miss Emily by Burleigh Muten

The Wild Horses of Sweetbriar by Natalie Kinsey-Warnock 
Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry 

Paul Revere's Ride by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, ill. by Ted Rand
Mr. Revere and I by Robert Lawson  
And Then What Happened, Paul Revere by Jean Fritz 
Let it Begin Here! by Don Brown
American Girl Felicity series

Henry the Castaway by Mark Taylor

Paddle to the Sea by Holling C. Holling
My Father’s Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett

The Finest Horse in Town by Jacqueline Briggs Martin
Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia Maclachlan
Come on, Seabiscuit by Ralph Moody

Truman's Aunt Farm by Jama Kim Rattigan 
The Trouble with Ants by Claudia Mills
Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher
Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter 

The Duchess Bakes a Cake by Virginia Kahl
The Door in the Wall by Margeuritte de Angeli
 The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye
 The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo
Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess by Richard Platt


Andy and the Lion by James Daugherty 
Aesop’s Fables
Akimbo and the Lions by Alexander McCall Smith
Androcles and the Lion by Tom Paxton

Daniel's Duck by Clyde Robert Bulla
Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
White Bird by Clyde Robert Bulla

Warm as Wool by Scott Russell Sanders 
Mountain Born by Elizabeth Yates
The Cabin Faced West by Jean Fritz

The Salamander Room by Anne Mazer

Miss Hickory by Carolyn Sherwin Bailey
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume
The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden

Climbing Kansas Mountains by George Shannon 
Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Willder
The King of Prussia and a Peanut Butter Sandwich by Alice Fleming
Prairie Friends by Nancy Smiler Levinson (ER)

Amber on the Mountain by Tony Johnston
Heidi by Johanna Spyri
Samantha Learns a Lesson by Susan Adler

Little Nino's Pizzeria by Karen Barbour 
The Boxcar Children: The Pizza Mystery by Gertrude Chandler Warner
Granny Torrelli Makes Soup by Sharon Creech






2 comments:

  1. I am working on planning our next school year and these suggestions have been a great help. I plan to use many of them. I know this takes a lot of time. I appreciate you sharing your recommendations. We used your page last year with other rows and we loved every book that you recommended. I think the one that sticks with me is The Family Under The Bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julie. I love Five in a Row and I love making booklists, so it works out well. We rowed this volume last year, so I have been tweaking it as we go. In fact, I've just updated all my Volumes 1-3 lists, if you need more inspiration. I think our favorite was Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye. Not on this list, but Miss Happiness and Miss Flower was a really inspiring book too for any of the Japanese rows. Now back to work on my Volume 4 list...

    ReplyDelete