Pages

Monday, June 30, 2014

Lentil by Robert McCloskey

We have been on summer break for a month now, but I found some photos in my files from books we loved in previous summer months. So it's summer flashback time! This time back to our first year of homeschool and the book Lentil by Robert McCloskey. I may have mentioned in my last post that McCloskey is one of my favorite children's book authors. I love that way that his illustrations and stories really capture the character of a place like Boston or rural Maine. But I had never heard of Lentil until we began Five in a Row.

Lentil takes us to the small town of Alto, Ohio and introduces a little boy named Lentil who had a happy life except for one thing. He couldn't sing. He does, however, learn to play the harmonica. When a homecoming parade is almost ruined when the band can't play, Lentil saves the day.

When I mention this book, the girls always do one thing: pucker their lips like they're sucking on a sour lemon. It's a memorable scene from the book and more memorable because we had a lemon taste testing and made lemonade. 

We also made a giant map of the town of Alto, Ohio, which turned out great, though it was a too unweildy for a good picture.
 
We studied this book around Memorial Day but it's also a great book to read around any patriotic holiday, like say Independence Day. We even had our own parade. I usually resist any activity involving harmonicas, but for this one, I did make an exception, as long as it was outside. 
Even the little guy got in on the fun.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment