Pages

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Summer Reading Wrap-up

It's Labor Day weekend, how did that happen? So it's time to wrap-up our Summer Reading Challenge for Grown-ups. I'm really curious to hear what you read this summer. Did you read any great children's books?

I ended up reading a mix of middle grade, young adult, and grown-up fiction. My favorite children's books were:
 
I loved this mystery about a girl who discovers her grandfather has been hiding a priceless painting in their attic and all that she must go through to find its rightful owner. I passed it right to my husband when I was finished and he also enjoyed it. It also convinced us to rent The Monuments Men movie, which was a decidedly disappointing experience. Should have just stuck with the book.

In this book, three teens start an Internet conspiracy to try and get people to read To Kill a Mockingbird. I enjoyed the characters and their love of learning and great books. One thing I have been noticing lately is that there is a decided lack of what I would call "casual religion" in children's books. It used to pop up quite frequently in books like Anne of Green Gables, where there would be religious characters or the main characters might even have a conversation about religious topics without the book being a "Christian" book. I appreciated that the characters in this book who all attend a Catholic high school actually talked about issues of faith without coming off as preachy or trying to prove a point, just the kind of honest questions people have. Well done!

Did you find any new favorites? Any books to recommend to me? I'd love to hear from you in the comments.

I hope you had a great summer of reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment